Pages

Sunday 14 August 2016

On Holiday and back

 We went on holiday, my dear husband and I. We left our little farm in the hands of my kind sister and her children. (I say children but they are all taller than me...). We visited good old England and went to a Bryan Adams concert. Seeing the band on stage, it struck me that Monty would fit in nicely. He could strut around with the best of them but B. Adams always hits the notes spot on. It was a really good holiday and I flew home after three days.

Mr. Chip thought it was Christmas time when we were away and took upon himself to visit the henhouse when he felt peckish. Apparently he's a great believer in healthy food so gorged on rice, corn and the dry food meant for laying hens. On my return I found him a bit rounder than before but extremely happy. I guess Mr. Chip had a holiday too...

Mindy, Molly and My gave me such a talking to when we met up again. It's not the done thing, this skulking off to fun and fairs they said. Mandy just gave me one of her most endearing smiles and hoped I had enjoyed myself. The hens told me their new friends were lovely and so much more into exercise and playing than silly old me. The fun they had running in the forest in the evenings and zig-zagging around the stable together; they were reminiscing... Not just going to bed every evening in the same, safe pattern, they continued. Little Ulla had grown just a tad and now she/he is sporting wings and a little tail with real, grownup feathers. Her mother Pippi is very proud and so she should be.

My dear sister's comment about their day's together was; "They all survived!" but she said it with a broad smile on her face. I think everyone had a good time and the famous five-hens thinks my sister rocks.

This week ended in the spirit of which this whole summer has enveloped itself. Dear sister had a visit from two half starved otters, young baby otters whose mother had gone missing and was clearly not coming back. The baby's had been crying all night and now they were hungry, cold and very unhappy about it all. So saved, warm and taken to an animal shelter, we are now waiting to hear how they are doing. My sister did a lot of driving last night as the shelter was not around the corner from us. And so the summer of wild animal stories continues...

Baby otters on their way to the animal shelter.

This week’s news will end with a cliffhanger and more about our new friends next week. Let's hope it's good news, fingers crossed... Toes as well, just in case...

Dear husband returned in the night and Mr. Chip can sleep soundly in the night, knowing all is well in his world again.

Holidays are fun but being at home with our gang is not bad either... Enjoy your week and more otter news to come. Dasha, the illustrator, is also now holidaying so all the best to her and her friends from us here in the sticks.


No comments:

Post a Comment